If you were single on Valentine’s Day yesterday, don’t feel bad about it. I’m here to tell you that love may be just around the corner. Life gets better. You want proof? I have proof. My love life has gotten significantly better since 2006, as the following pictures demonstrate.
Kissed by a … seal?!
Kissed by my wonderful husband of almost 4 (!!) years
Yep, in 2006 the only love I was getting was from slimy sea creatures.
That picture was taken in Taiwan, at an aquarium that I was spending the day at with some friends. One of the friends with me that day was Ben — oh you know, just the guy I would marry three years later, in June of 2009.
At the time that I was getting smooched by that wet, whiskery seal, I liked Ben a lot but was pretty much in despair that anything would ever work out between us. Now, seven years later, I guess things did work out, because I’m happily married to Ben and I much prefer kisses from him to kisses from that seal.
So there, you have witnessed proof that life does get better. I hope it cheered you up, cause man that first photo is embarrassing, and this had better be for a good cause. :-)
Today I had the opportunity to go through some very old books, and if you know me, you know I never pass up an opportunity to go through some very old books.
A book written in 1946 on marriage and family issues particularly caught my eye, because these kinds of books always present such an … INTERESTING perspective. This one certainly did not disappoint.
Here’s a quote.
“In countless apartments over the nation two or three girls — secretaries, stenographers, department store clerks — live by twos or threes, together. They make their toast and coffee in the morning over the little burner, they eat their meals together at night perhaps. Though they have all the dainty things that woman’s fingers prepare for a home, it may be, yet they must go out through the day and toil to make a living for themselves. And when women live alone they have trouble with the furnace. They do not know what to do when a window sticks. And they always feel certain limitations out in the world of commerce. There is a place in business for a woman as an assistant to man, but any woman who runs a business of her own, who meets the world on its own terms, often feels her frailty, often feels the need for stronger hands and shoulders and a bolder brain than her own.”
Excuse me, sir, what you said there is not entirely correct. I do know what to do when a window sticks. I will simply BREAK IT OVER YOUR HEAD! Except wait, guess I’d better not do that ….. since you have a “bolder brain” and all.
This kind of stuff is hilarious and disturbing at the same time. And I would just like to say that I’m glad I live now, in a time when women have more options and aren’t put in box quite as much. I mean, “they always feel certain limitations out in the world of commerce” — wow. “There is a place in business for a woman as an assistant to man” — really?!! Granted, in a global sense the world is still a difficult place to be a woman, but at least in the USA maybe we have made a leeetle progress since 1946. Good job USA.
That’s all I have for now. If anyone needs me, I’ll be in the kitchen making “dainty things” with my “woman’s fingers.”
Unless I feel some frailty coming on, that’s all.
And another semester ends.
Hopefully just 2 more before I’m done for good.
Today was a really long day. It started at 7:30 AM with a prrrretty dang challenging Greek final exam. (By the way, there’s something innately wrong about final exams at 7:30 AM.) It ended half an hour ago when I finally submitted a 20-page paper.
Now I am more tired than I even realize. I fervently wish I didn’t have to work tomorrow. But I do. But after that I will really and truly be free. I can’t wait.
You know you’re really tired when you’re sitting at your computer doing Google Image searches for “cute bunnies,” “sleeping bunnies,” “cats doing homework,” and “sleeping puppies.” Yes, those were all actual searches I did. What can I say? I am weary in body and soul, and I want a pet.
I mean come on. Just look at this lil’ guy.
Or maybe bunnies aren’t your thing. How about this then?
Q: What’s cuter than a sleeping puppy?
A: SLEEPING, SPOONING PUPPIES!!!!
I really ought to warn you now that you should never, ever search for pictures of sleeping puppies. You will want a puppy. Aaaaaaand ….. I want a puppy. (But I’ve wanted one for a long time now)
Going to bed now. :)
I came across this video via A Cup Of Jo (a blog I love). I think it’s the cutest thing I’ve seen in ….. well, a long time. If you’re not having the best day (which is how my day is going) this thing is really worth watching. It WILL put a smile on your face. :-)
Life can’t be so bad if there are babies this cute in the world.
Today I’m stealing an idea from a favorite blog of mine, The Daybook. On Thursdays Sydney sometimes does an Awkward and Awesome post. They’re always quite entertaining to read …. and since this week in my life has been unusually full of awkward and awesome things, I’m going to jump on the bandwagon a little bit here. :-)
- Hearing a song at the gym that gets me pumped, and being all like “I love this song!” and thinking it’s going to be my next favorite song … and then hearing it for a second time, and realizing it’s actually kinda dirrrrtyyy …… like actually really gross. Oh, ok. Guess I don’t want to sing along …. after all. Boo.
- People’s TMI facebook statuses. I really didn’t want to know that! Why on earth would anybody want to know that? Clearly they did not ask themself this question before posting.
- Women getting a little TOO excited about being around my fun and good-looking husband. “Oh you’re soooooo funnyyyyy!” …. and I’m like, hellooo, I’m standing right here …. and he’s TAKEN, K?!?
- Not wearing my wedding ring. It’s been at the jeweler’s all week getting cleaned. Last night I was at the gym by myself, and as I was walking out after my workout a man stopped me and asked me how to get to the grocery store. After several minutes of me POLITELY giving him detailed directions, he said, “Actually, I know where all that stuff is. I just wanted to meet you, maybe we could go out for coffee…” I couldn’t believe my ears! This kind of thing does not happen to me. Seriously …. the grocery store? What?! I need my ring back. It was just SO AWKWARD, especially when I told him I was married. I would feel sorry for him, but …. well, you brought that on yourself, mister.
- Playing the piano I got for Christmas. It’s so much fun … I’m learning a piece by Schubert, which is awesome. And also last night Ben and I were playing and singing together, and we actually sounded good! I can’t believe I lived without a piano for almost 3 years.
- My husband. What can I say, I’m in love.
- My newly muscle-licious self. Working out a few nights a week is starting to make a real difference, and it’s pretty fun too. I can’t believe I’m getting stronger AND actually enjoying it! That’s a new one for this couch-and-hot-chocolate loving bookworm.
- Last night’s dinner. I haven’t been cooking very much the past couple of days, and last night I was determined to make something good, even though we didn’t eat until very late. Behold, beef and orange stir-fry. It was so yummy!! And guess where the recipe came from? :-)
I’d love to hear your awkward and awesomes, too! Leave me a comment :-)
This is pretty random … but I’m posting pictures of dogs today. Hahaha. I was telling my sister Anna the other day about a cartoon about Pavlov’s Dogs that I saw once, and she really wanted to see it (she’s a psychology major, go figure). So I hunted it down on Google Images today. It was an arduous task. I typed in “Pavlov’s dogs cartoon” and it was the first picture that came up. So yeah. Anyway, I’m posting this mainly for her, but you may find it funny too (whoever you are). Whoever drew it was a genius.
And now to explain how one picture of dogs became three. As I was scrolling through all the pictures that had come up when I searched “Pavlov’s dogs cartoon,” I came across some pretty funny dog pictures. And it just seemed like a good day to look at dog pictures and laugh. The weather is bad here, and it’s a really stressful time of the year for us, so I need all the laughter I can get. And let me tell you …. I laughed until I CRIED at the last picture in this post.
So there ya go. Look at pictures of puppies. Smile. Life isn’t so bad after all.
Here’s the one for Anna. Nerdy humor at its best.
Nothing like a big pile of golden retriever puppies to turn a frown upside down.
And the piece de resistance … a.k.a. The cutest picture. That I have ever seen. In my entire life.
If you don’t think that is cute or funny, you probably need professional help. :)